Sunday, September 4, 2016

Frog Pond Farms

Frog Pond Farms is a small farmers market in Bainbridge, NY. It is more a petting zoo than a farmers market.


Out front there were two young pigs and a calf on either side of the door. 

Inside of the farmers market just past the pigs and the cow, on the left side there was a lonely lion head rabbit. He was so cute I swore that I was going to steal him and take him home with me! I didn't do it๐Ÿ™. This is what they look like:

On the opposite side of the room, all the way in the back, there was a crate of silkie chicks. The were just getting their feathers. The adult silkies toward the front were white as snow and super soft. I think they were named Tom and Jerry. 

Up the hill, opposite from the front door there were more farm animals, chickens, goats, geese, sheep, and of course, more pigs. The goats were funny. If you scratched their back while they were doing something, they stopped everything and enjoyed the scratch. Aaron called it a pause button. 

Opposite the goats were 5 sheep, and their names all started with M.  It was fun to guess who was who. The poor things had three inches of wool on them. The temperature was 83 degrees, and they were panting so hard I'm surprised I didn't feel it. 
Past the sheep were the geese and chickens. The poor chickens never saw the light of day and there were three that had been bullied so bad they barely had any feathers.

Now,  the geese on the other hand were as happy as could be besides the fact that the weird, tall aliens, with fuzz on their heads were at their fence. They were scared easily, so every time I said "boo" they sqacked so loud I thought I was going to go deaf. I named one of the brown ones "snap" because he tried to eat my friend's dad's fingers. 

The pigs were as big as my fridge laid side ways. They were filthy and mud was caked on their skin. Their hair was like the bristles on a grill brush. Also, this is a warning, there is NOWHERE TO WASH YOUR HANDS. So bring hand sanitizer, or else you will look like this:

When you went inside of the actual market all you could hear was the cashiers. They sounded like auctioneers; one dollar, one dollar, one dollar, that's three dollars, two fifty, that's five fifty. The one guy went so fast he could have made up numbers and I wouldn't have known the difference. 

While there was a variety, the produce wasn't very fresh and none of it was organic or local. All most all of our wax and green beans were bad, and the tomatoes were old. 

Well I'm going to end this blog post and so if you have something you would like me to write about, let me know in the comments. Goooood BYEEEEE!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, It sounds like an interesting place ! I am an animal lover and I think my favorite would have been the lion head rabbit ! He/She is so cute !! Great article :)
    Pat Perkins

    ReplyDelete